Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This Writer Has Had Enough With A Particular Writing Jobs Board

What you are about to read here about what I consider to be absolutely the worst place for online writers and content seekers alike, is strictly my own opinion.

The write jobs bidding board site that I cannot stand is that one that tells article buyers to get freelancers. Which from pursuing post after post for over two years now, I guess means an open invitation for content seekers to lowball writers with measly offers of compensation for writing articles for them? Like $1.00- $2.00 for a 500 word article! The fact that there are writers from another region of the world more than happy to accept such exploitation of their writing talents and labors does not help the situation either.

Two and half years ago, I sent a message to this job board’s owner to explain my frustration and disappointment that they allowed such practices. I received a reply back from them after a couple of weeks, in which they said that they were working on correcting these issues so that writers would be presented with projects offering just compensation, for their services only. The board owners assured me that content seekers who continued to make outrageous job projects like $30 for 50/ 800 word articles would find themselves banned from the site. Yeah right. In my inbox, this morning was another list from them of writing jobs created by content seekers offering next to nothing for quite a lot of work.

I am a rather patient person and that is why I have given them so long to change their ways before parting with them for good. I have no respect for the company running this board and continuing to allow these unfair practices to writers. I have even less respect for the content seekers guilty of these practices, which are the outright exploitation of the writers there, no matter how willing some of them may be. It would serve these underhanded content seekers to get poor quality content to match their unbelievably poor pay rates. I have to say that there are ethical content seekers in the mix who do offer writers respectable amounts of pay. However, the ones with little if any apparent ethics literally bury those who are willing to offer writers due compensation for their written works.

At the time, that I made contact with the company behind this job board to let them know of my dissatisfaction with the dismal substance of the writing jobs being offered there, I expressed a concern for new writers who might think they had to accept such low pay to get a start in online writing. I still have that concern today.

Although you may have to start out on a lower paying scale for writing an article that say I do now with the experience I have as a ten-plus online freelance writer. That does not mean you have to accept $2.50 for a 500-word article, because you are a new writer without any writing credentials to show a client. You may have to do a few of these 500 word articles for $5 each, but no lower than that. Only agree to do a few of them to give a client a chance to evaluate your writing skills.

It is wonderful that there are people out there who are willing to give new writers a chance to prove themselves. The opportunity to get our feet wet as new online writers is why many of us are willing to take a little less pay for our writing work in the beginning. Just be careful not to sell yourself and your writing skill too short. Luckily, the decent people who buy articles and other content from writers respect the work that we do, and are willing to pay a decent amount for our writing services. They may ask for a lower fee during an initial evaluation phase of receiving content from a brand new writer. However, they will typically offer to increase your pay after you write a few articles for them.

If the person or company that you are dealing with only wants you to keep writing articles indefinitely on a low pay scale, politely tell them you have taken on new clients and cannot continue providing content for them. I say politely, because we should all be careful about the bridges we burn behind us. I also unequivocally say that you should move on if you do not see higher pay in it for you within a reasonable period and number of produced articles. There are plenty of respectable content buyers out there more than willing to pay professional freelance writers fair wages for their services. To them I say “Thank You!” I really appreciate the clients that make it possible for me to afford to do the writing work that I love so much.

I only made a real-close association to the actual name of this shoddy writing job board at the start of this article to protect myself from possible litigation. I am sure many of you have heard of this place or can figure out its name anyway. Have you had an experience with them similar to mine? Alternatively, have you had a positive experience with them that you would like to share with readers? Click on the comments tab to leave your comments if the comment box is not already open.

No comments:

Post a Comment