Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Dear Fellow Writers:

Do any of you other writers suffer from a chronic condition like me of writing in the passive tense, in every other sentence (according to that annoying paperclip dude in WORD, anyway.)

If you used to, but found a way to overcome your tendency to write passively so much, could you share some tips with me? Please!

How many of you have tried to revise your sentence in hopes of appeasing the little bugger, only to say “screw you, know-it-all proper grammar freak ” several sentences later? Maybe I am the only one who has ever behaved in such an irrational manner. (Can you believe that I had to re-do this sentence because HE said my first attempt was a split infinitive?!) I chose to use 2 punctuation marks there and ignore his warning that I should not, so “up yours” WORD program grammar coach!

I guess when you put your dukes, ready to throw down with a program icon intended to keep your grammar usage and spelling in check: it is a clear sign of a very long day of writing. Could be insanity too I suppose. I am choosing to go with too much writing for one day though. My possible insanity is my prerogative to call “writers exhaustion” instead. If you are nuts too, by all means, give it whatever name floats your boat.

I started out with this post in all seriousness and rational thought….How did I fall into the crazy zone?

If you do have some suggestions that may help me to curb my tendency to write passive sentences, I sure would appreciate you sharing them with me here. (Wow, the paperclip remained silent on this sentence!) I guess that is my cue to stop while I am ahead. Thank You and Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment